Green Shipping Milestone: AtoB@C Shipping Launches ‘Stellamar,’ Second Plug-in Hybrid Coaster in 12-Vessel Fleet
7th October 2023
Chowgule Shipyard, India – In a significant step towards reducing its carbon footprint and embracing sustainable shipping solutions, ESL Shipping’s subsidiary, AtoB@C Shipping, celebrated the launch of “Stellamar,” the second unit in a series of 12 plug-in hybrid coasters. The launch event, which took place on October 1 at the Chowgule Shipyard in India, marked a milestone in the company’s commitment to environmentally friendly shipping practices.
The “Stellamar” is part of a groundbreaking project undertaken by AtoB@C Shipping to introduce a fleet of state-of-the-art plug-in hybrid coasters. These vessels are designed to operate on a combination of electricity and traditional marine fuels, significantly reducing emissions and contributing to a more sustainable maritime industry.
The launch event was attended by key stakeholders, including representatives from ESL Shipping, AtoB@C Shipping, and Chowgule Shipyard. It showcased the remarkable engineering and innovation behind the “Stellamar” and the company’s vision for a greener future in the shipping industry.
Mikael Forsell, CEO of ESL Shipping, expressed his excitement about the project, stating, “The launch of ‘Stellamar’ is a testament to our commitment to sustainability. We believe that the future of shipping lies in eco-friendly solutions, and these plug-in hybrid coasters represent a significant step in that direction.”
The “Stellamar” is an impressive vessel, boasting advanced technological features that make it an eco-efficient maritime transport solution. Here are some key highlights of the vessel:
- Plug-in Hybrid Technology: The “Stellamar” is equipped with a cutting-edge plug-in hybrid propulsion system that allows it to switch between electric power and traditional marine fuels, such as LNG (liquefied natural gas) or low-sulfur diesel. This flexibility ensures reduced emissions during transit, especially in environmentally sensitive areas.
- Battery Capacity: The coaster is outfitted with a substantial battery capacity, allowing it to operate on electric power for extended periods, even when sailing at low speeds. This feature not only reduces emissions but also enhances operational efficiency.
- Cargo Capacity: Despite its eco-friendly design, the “Stellamar” doesn’t compromise on cargo capacity. It can handle a wide range of dry bulk cargoes, ensuring that it remains a versatile and efficient transport solution for various industries.
- State-of-the-Art Navigation and Safety Systems: The vessel is equipped with advanced navigation and safety systems, including modern radar and communication equipment, to ensure safe and reliable navigation in all conditions.
- Reduced Environmental Impact: The plug-in hybrid technology in the “Stellamar” is expected to reduce CO2 emissions significantly, aligning with international efforts to combat climate change and meet ambitious emission reduction targets.
AtoB@C Shipping’s investment in this fleet of plug-in hybrid coasters represents a forward-thinking approach to the shipping industry’s growing environmental challenges. By adopting eco-friendly technology and promoting sustainable practices, the company aims to set an example for the maritime sector and contribute to a greener, more responsible future.
Chowgule Shipyard played a pivotal role in the construction of the “Stellamar” and the ongoing project to build the remaining vessels in the series. The shipyard’s expertise in shipbuilding and commitment to quality have been instrumental in bringing this vision to life.
Speaking at the launch event, the Managing Director of Chowgule Shipyard, Rajesh Chowgule, said, “We are proud to be part of this important project that aligns perfectly with our commitment to sustainable shipbuilding. The ‘Stellamar’ is a testament to the capabilities of Indian shipbuilding and our dedication to creating vessels that are both efficient and environmentally responsible.”
The “Stellamar” is expected to undergo sea trials and rigorous testing to ensure that it meets the highest industry standards for safety, performance, and environmental compliance. Once these tests are successfully completed, the vessel will join AtoB@C Shipping’s fleet, operating on routes that require both flexibility and sustainability.
In conclusion, the launch of “Stellamar,” the second unit in AtoB@C Shipping’s series of 12 plug-in hybrid coasters, represents a significant step forward in the shipping industry’s journey toward sustainability. With its innovative technology, reduced emissions, and commitment to environmental responsibility, this vessel serves as a shining example of what can be achieved when industry leaders prioritize eco-friendly solutions. As the maritime sector continues to evolve, AtoB@C Shipping’s vision for a greener future is undoubtedly a beacon of hope for the industry and the planet.
Click here to join our Telegram chanel
You will get information, news, and support related to Merchant Navy.